No shuttle is needed just paddle about from our base at Symonds Yat West and have a blast...
For those who are new to paddlesport or have limited time this option is ideal, the session runs at 1 pm every day provided the river isn't too high. After booking your Canoe, Kayak or Paddleboard through the website you will receive an email with information about your adventure. On the day of your trip, you come to Wye Adventures Centre at Symonds Yat West, here you can park next door at "River Wye Caravan & Camping" in their large pay and display field, then you simply walk back to the road and we are 100m further into Symonds Yat.
This session is ideal for complete first-timers and we allow people to take Paddleboards (not kayaks) out without any prior experience whereas, for river journeys such as our Full Day Trip or our 3/4 Day Trip, we would require a degree of experience to take our SUP's or kayaks, one reason being that with Stand Up Paddleboards and Kayaks, you are on your own (although part of a group) and a river journey where you are committing to getting from A to B isn't the best time to try kayaking or paddleboarding without any experience, but with the 1 pm Paddle-about as its a static session, we allow non-experienced SUP'ers to have a go, but still kayakers need a level of experience.
When you arrive at the Wye Adventures Centre we will fill out paperwork and complete payments, kit you out with buoyancy aids, paddles and dry barrels and give you a safety briefing before running you to the launch point behind us and getting you on the water for some fun. To start with we suggest heading upstream as far as you can before turning back to head with the flow of the river and back to Symonds Yat, we don't allow you to go any further downstream than Ye Old Ferrie Inn that way it's not too much of a struggle to return on time and you avoid the rapids. Along the way, you can see a variety of wildlife from otters, mink, swans, geese, deer, wild boar, peregrine falcons and plenty more.
This introductory trip can be enough for the first-time paddler and is perfect to enjoy the fantastic surroundings and stunning vistas the area has to offer, or if you fancied a river journey why not consider a 3/4 day trip.
Activity Information Facts:
- Minimum Age – 4 Years Old
- Fitness Level – Easy/Moderate
- Difficulty – Easy, suitable for novices, you will be required to carry your 34kg canoe between you and your paddling partner (we can assist groups with young children), we can sometimes help at the launch stage but if you capsize on route you will have to recover your boat yourselves as we are not there with you! you will also need to remove the canoe from the river at the end of each day.
- Stops on route - none on this trip, this is paddle about, if you are looking to stop for a break then consider the 3/4 day trip. (Please bear in mind that we don't allow anyone under the influence of alcohol or drugs to paddle our boats for obvious safety reasons, people under the influence or seen drinking alcohol whilst in the boats will be removed from the river without refund and possibly without transport back to their cars).
- Meeting times – 1 pm
- Meeting place - Wye Adventures Centre, Symonds Yat West
- On river time – 20 mins after the meeting time
- Duration – 3 hours (or less as you can return to your car at any point)
- Off-water time - 4 pm at the latest
- Time of Year – March-October
- Location - Lower Wye Valley
- Adult: Child Ratio - 4-10 yr olds 1:1 adult to child ratio, 10-18 yr olds 1 adult:2 youths
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01600 890027 or drop us an email to [email protected]
Read what our customers have to say about us here.